8/6/09

Second Chemo

I made it to my second treatment today, where I got the four-hour treatment instead of the one-hour variety I was expecting. I was glad to be able to have it today, but I have to say, it was a different experience from last time. We started with talking to the doctor. Dr. Abrass assures us that this blend of drugs I'm getting for chemo has been shown to shrink tumors in similar cancers. It won't cure what I've got, but he hopes it can keep it at bay.

To start with, the people were quiet in the room today. No chatting and "partying," just a lot of tired people who seemed to prefer a quiet room. Joyce, my chair neighbor from last time, was there earlier in the day. She called me and waited for me for 1 1/2 hours, but our appointments didn't overlap after all and I missed seeing her. Maybe it was the quiet room, maybe the drugs, but I was a little emotional about all of this. It's hard to be alone with your thoughts for so long sometimes. Also, the chair was not as comfy as I remembered it from last time. I went into a jam-packed chemo room and "my chair" was taken, so I had to sit in a different place. The nurse gave me another back patch to help with the pain in my back. As the patients cleared out, I moved into my first chair, which had an empty seat for David. By the time I was finished, it was just us and the nurse.

I am home now, and hoping to eat and rest. The doctor hopes I am able to get blood work done on Monday, talk to him with the new blood work results on Tuesday, and hopefully have chemo (the 1-hour variety) again on Wednesday of next week.

4 comments:

The Fallon Schank's said...

We're happy that your chemo went well. You are always in our prayers. Craig and Debbie

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry chemo was not as "fun" this time around. Hopefully next week your friendly neighbor and party room will be back to help distract from the medical happenings. I think about you constantly and pray for you many times throughout the day. I hope the next couple of days pass uneventfully and pain-free.
Love,
Erin

Hanna said...

I hope that you are able to get better quickly from this round. We love you and are praying for you!

P.S. I put something about you on my blog. I just wanted you to know how loved you are!

Kristie Weddell said...

Sheri, I am at a loss for words. All I can say is that you truly are a remarkable lady. I have know idea what you are going through, and it stinks that you have to go through all this chemo to get better, but I guess if that is what it takes. If anybody can do it, it would be you, because you are so determined to get better. That is what we all admire. You are also very lucky to have David in your corner every step of the way. Good for you David. We hope your week is pain free. Love always, The Weddell's