6/17/09

San Francisco - Day 1

We are here in San Francisco and we got blood work done this morning. My count was a 9.3. We met with the doctors this morning and they were in agreement that we need the radiologist to figure out why these stents are not draining to get my bilirubin count down. We left the hospital at about 11:00 a.m. and had to be back at 3:30 to meet with the radiologist, and I had to keep fasting. During this time, we drove to Fisherman's Wharf. I stayed in the car with the sunroof open, and since David was not fasting, he got soup and a sandwich and an ice cream from the candy store.

When we got back to the hospital, which is a different hospital from last time, but still in the same network of hospitals, to my surprise, I recognized the radiologist from the first SF hospital. I know he remembered me and all of my questions, because during our appointment, he asked me to give him the short version instead of the 20 minutes of information I wanted to share with him. They decided to relocate these tubes and do the contrasting again, which was very painful for me the first time. I asked to be heavily sedated and he said no because it won't hurt, and it would make my recovery much easier if I didn't have the extra drugs. During the procedure, I overheard the radiologist who, by the way, can't be over 30, tell another doctor something about my bile ducts. I said, "I'm sorry, what did you say?" I think that took him by surprise, but that's what you get when you recommend fewer drugs. He went on to explain that I have no bile ducts draining on my left side at all because the tumors are too obtrusive. The doctor cut my stitches, moved my bili tube, and stitched me up again. So far, it is draining a lot, but it looks like water. We'll see what they say about that in the morning.

I feel like I am getting some questions answered, especially one that I have been afraid to ask, about how quickly the cancer is growing. Dr. Warren says it is a slow-growing cancer and that we have a window of opportunity. I was relieved to hear that, but it's still a lot of cancer to take care of. Dr. Warren says I have been the topic of the round table discussions all day and will continue to be tomorrow. Everyone is trying to see what they can do for me, and we will discuss some options tomorrow. All of this celebrity didn't result in me getting a better room however; the room is small and the bed is not very comfortable. David is on a tiny cot that is as hard as a rock. I told him he should go back to the hotel, but he is staying with me and I am glad for that.

After the procedure was done and I had the green light to eat, all I could think about was that chicken salad sandwich David had earlier at Fisherman's Wharf. The nurse suggested a closer place, but I'd been thinking about that sandwich since lunchtime. David got it for me and it was delicious. I also enjoyed some treats from the candy shop, and I was told today that I am under strict orders to eat whatever sounds good to me. The only thing that is off-limits to me is alcohol, which is fine with me. Otherwise, I can eat whatever I want.

Before I close, there are so many of you I'd like to thank. It was such a boost to have Milray come help out last weekend. I know there are many of you helping with my kids while we are gone. Thank you so much!! It is really a relief to know our kids are being watched over and loved in our absence. I appreciate all your help and love and prayers.

5 comments:

Purrell Family said...

Sheri and David-
Wow, what a day for you, but so rewarding to know you received some answers to your questions. Keep asking and demanding your needs...keep being your own advocate! We will continue to keep you in our thoughts! Again, please let Julie know if you need anything!!!
Love,
Vickie, Shawn, & Girls

CherylV said...

Hi guys,

We are so relieved that the trip to S.F. is much more optimistic than when you left! We know you are in good hands (in more ways than one!) You can't be in a better place for good food Sheri, so take advantage!

Love you!

Cheryl, Mark, Allie and Sadie

The Oney's said...

David&Sheri, It is good to know you have everyone's full attention
in S.F! I hope you are the topic for their roundtable discussion again today and they put all of their knowledge together and come up with a plan that will get you the treatment you are waiting for. I know these new stents will be better and get that bili count down. Sorry the jet didn't work out for you. A 1/2 hr. trip vs. 4 hrs. is much better. Joe will be there for you when you need him. We are thinking of you constantly and plan on having the Faught gang over for dinner this weekend. Stay strong and don't let those 30 yr.old Dr.s get away with anything.
Love the Oney's

Brenda said...

David and Sheri - Im glad to read you had a few minutes of sun and fresh air while in San Fran. Im so sorry to read that the bilirubin count is staying so high. I just know with the stents being moved things will be able to drain and treatment will began. You are so strong and with the positive attitude you and David have you will beat this. I think of you and the family everyday, if there is anything you need or I can do for you please let me know. Brenda Ogden

Kim said...

It has been nice to be informed with this blog! Thank you for doing it and sharing your strength and example with us. I think and pray for you often. I will have to come visit after you get home so you can meet our sweet little Dallin. We love you!

Kim Sorensen and family