6/7/09

Graduation

Alex's graduation was Friday night, and as a mom, I hate to miss anything my kids are doing, large or small. High school graduation was huge. We had it worked out that I would stay home and watch it broadcast over the internet hooked up to a tv in the den. That seemed like the best way for me to see it and avoid the inevitable walking, sitting, standing, bad weather, and crowds. It was the perfect solution, but I was still feeling sad about not actually being there as Alex was getting ready.

We found out about 15 minutes before start time that it couldn't be broadcast, so at the last minute, I threw on some clothes and off we went to CCHS graduation! We got there late, but they had a golf cart there waiting to bring David and I to the bleachers. I saw a lot of people who I'm sure were surprised to see me, but I just gave them the "queen wave" from the cart as we went to our seats in the back. I was so glad to be there and see Alex and so many of her friends graduate!

After a while I started to get nauseous and it felt like someone was punching me in the back. I knew I wouldn't last for the rest of the ceremony, but it was such a long walk back to the car! So David and I started walking slowly back to the car, and before you know it, there was the little golf cart to take us there. It was perfect timing.

David sat with me in the car with the heater running until the closing prayer was said, then he ran back to the field to give Alex a hug and take picutres. Then we went back home, had some hot cocoa, and I went to bed. I even slept well.

I was really happy about the way it all worked out perfectly for me to be there to see Alex and all the other seniors that I've been watching all these years grow up with her. It was fun to see so many people, and I wish I was physically able to stop and talk to everyone. I heard people calling my name and blowing me kisses and it was nice to feel the love and support. Thank you CCHS for the golf cart rides, it meant so much to me to be there. I wish I was able to do more; but I'm so grateful for what I am able to do.

For the medical update, my biliruben count is at a 9.8, which is an increase of 0.8 over the week. It also means that the two new stents aren't making the difference we'd hoped they would. I can tell that my count has gone up because my eyes are more yellow and my skin is tingly. I can see they are draining stuff out; I had one full bag in 8 hours, which is unusual but it's not enough. We will be discussing with Dr. Abrass what treatment options are for me with my biliruben count where it is. We've spent a lot of time trying to get this count down and it just hasn't really made a significant decrease, so we need to see what we can do to start treatment.

11 comments:

Kristie Weddell said...

Sheri and David,
All I can say is that you two are truley amazing. Sheri, I for on did not think you would miss Alex graduate, and to hear that you braved all of the hurdles to get there is awesome, I'm sure it made Alex's day that more special. I'm sorry to hear that your count is seeking back up. The Dr. that works miracles will come up with something amazing I'm sure. Were thinking about you and your family daily. Stay Strong. Love, The Weddell's

The Oney's said...

Hi Sheri, What a great night for Alex!. I'm so glad you were able to go to graduation..there you go again with those superwoman powers you possess. You are truly incredible!!! I know everyone was thrilled to see you. Alex is a beautiful girl! I'm anxious for you to get back to S.F. and meet with the surgeon. He sounds aggressive and serious with his treatment plans and with your bring it on attitude, you will make it through this. Eat,rest, and stay strong. Love the Oney's

BrownCowOlsens said...

Hello Sheri,
This evening I was cooking some of Logans pork chops from her 2009 hog for dinner, and I thought of your family while doing so. I wish you the best of luck.. you are a very strong women with a great outlook in life~ which is inspiring...

ps. Tell Logan she did an excellent job feeding her pig because the pork chops are huge and tastey :)
Respectfully,
Jennifer Olsen

Purrell Family said...

Sheri and David,
We are both here for the both of you and the kids. We just found out about this site and want you to know that we are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. You can call on us at anytime. Shawn can help with the horses or any other needs that need to be done outside while you are gone, just let Julie know.
Love, the Purrell's

Hanna said...

I'm so happy that you got to see Alex graduate...and a golf cart, how perfect! we are thinking of you everyday and praying for a miracle for you.

Love,
Hanna Perazz

Heidi said...

So glad you got to go to Alex's graduation! I'm praying for that miracle...LIVESTRONG!

Anonymous said...

Sheri,
When Jeannette said she had been seated next to you at graduation, I wasn't really surprised. You have been a constant support and the biggest fan for your children, and I knew you would find strength to witness one of the most incredible milestones your children will see in the coming years.
We will continue to pray for your daily strength and for your biliruben counts to go down. Fight the good fight, my friend. Friendship and blessings,
Tracy and Neil

Unknown said...

Sheri, I was sad to hear of all your health struggles, but if anyone can beat this thing, it's you. How awesome that you could be at Alex's graduation, and no surprise that you had the gumption to do be there. My prayers are with you and your family.
Blessings to you, Karen Hunter

Carolyn Greene said...

Sherri it is so awesome you made it to graduation. Alex is a lucky girl to have such a strong mother. Please know we are praying for your recovery.

vfowler said...

WOW...You are something, good job on making it to graduation. I am so glad that you were there, Stay strong, eat, rest and stay strong, and keep that great attitude that you have you will get threw this. All our prayers and strength are with you.
The Fowler's

Unknown said...

Sheri~
From one mother to another...You are truly an inspiration! David, the girls and I continue to marvel at your strength. We are praying for your family.
Be Blessed!
The Howard Family