9/24/09

Potassium and Surgery

It is Thursday already and what a nice day for me, the cleaning lady was at my house today! My mom is here, she is coming on Thursdays and staying until Friday evening. It is nice to have her here to help out and keep me company. We even took a drive today to grab lunch and then drove to the park to eat in the car.

My pain level is still good. I am having more pain in my back, but the excruciating pain in my abdomen and side is still gone. I had my blood tests done and my bili was an 8.8, which is too high for chemo this week. We found out that my potassium level is down. When I asked what that means, the nurse said it means I could have a heart attack of all things! However, I am treating this by upping my potassium intake with food (bananas, cantaloupe, avocados, etc.) so they must not think a heart attack is right around the corner for me.

Next Wednesday David and I will head back to San Francisco for a stent replacement surgery. They like to re-do them every couple of months, plus one of my stitches has come out, so I guess it is time to have this done. David says this should be easier since it is the third time and I probably won't need the anesthesia. Yeah right - I don't want to take that chance! The new stents should make my bilirubin count come down, so I may be able to have chemo again the following week. I feel strong enough for chemo, but I really am skin and bones right now. The appetite stimulant is working well, and I feel like I am eating more, but the doctor told me it will be really hard at this point with my cancer to just maintain my weight and I am not likely to gain any. But it is nice to be able to eat, and I plan to continue eating as much as I can.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sheri~
My continued prayers are with you and your family as you go about your days and face another trip to California. I am so amazed at your spirit! You are truly a remarkable lady and I am so thankful to call you a friend.
Love and Blessings,
Tracy

Unknown said...

Would you remind David that you are not a horse? Tell him he is welcome to take your place with no anathesia. Come to think of it tell him I'd like to see that!

We'll be busy this weekend with the old codgers rodeo. I'm beginning to feel like one.

Sheryl said your sister visited with you. I'll bet that was nice.

Well I'm off to pick up some fence banners and a few other errands.

Hope you can keep that pain at bay.

Gentle hugs and kisses, Bob and Faye

Kristie Weddell said...

Sheri, I am happy to hear that you are still pretty much pain free. You are getting your strength back little by little, so that is good. I know how you hate to go to San Fran, but David is probably right and that it will not be as bad, and if it helps with the draining. We are thinking about you daily. We love you, The Weddell's

Unknown said...

Wow...You are one remarkable lady! Your strength continues to inspire us. So glad to hear that your pain is still better and your able to be out and about. The girls had a great rodeo and did well in both breakaway and goats. BUT...as soon as we all got home, we all said, " check on Sheri"!
We are praying for your trip to San Fran, a lower Bili, and chemo this week!
With Love and Blessings,
The Howard Family