10/12/09

Drainage Tubes

I called the doctor in San Francisco and shared with him my concern that the stent on my right side is not draining. He then called the doctor in Reno to see about re-doing this drain. The plan is to schedule it at St. Mary's to save us the burden of travel. They told me that the tubes clog easily, but it hasn't even been 2 1/2 weeks, so I didn't expect to have to do anything more with this so soon.
One more worry for me is these stitches that hold my tubes in place. They are pulling out and it's kind of gross. David taped one up where the stitches were starting to come out, and the doctor said that we can tape them up or I can push the stitches back in. Eeeww! I spoke to this doctor twice today, and he was very concerned about my discomfort. Although he said what I am expereincing with the stitches is normal, he did have a thought about the pain I've been having. He says it comes from the tumors pressing on the tubes in my liver. There is not much they can do about that, but they could replace one (not all three) of these plastic tubes with a metal tube. There is no guarantee that this would help, but it's nice to know the doctors are still trying to come up with ways to improve what I'm dealing with.
My day was good despite the pain that persists in my back and side. It is still bad enough to wake me up at night, but it has been decreasing since last Wednesday. I had friends come give me a back massage and paint my toenails. It was nice to be pampered. The continual kindness shown to my family is amazing. Thank you for your prayers, meals, and kind thoughts.

No comments: