5/26/09

Stronger Every Day

Here's a little update before my appointment tomorrow when I go back to the oncologist so he can check on how I've been doing since I left the hospital. Overall things are pretty good, with only a few complaints.

I feel like I am getting my strength back, which is a good feeling. I still have the two drains in my side. One of them does not seem to be working, which may be a good thing if it is draining on the inside like it is supposed to. I have been able to take a shower and brush my teeth regularly each day. Small pleasures, I know. It takes me a while - like an hour - but I am clean every day, which I really appreciate. I have also been able to take a few little walks outside and even do a little laundry. I can tell I have lost muscle, but I am forcing myself to eat every couple of hours to keep my strength up. I have been keeping some snacks close by my bed (thanks West End!), which helps because I don't have to move too much to eat.


Nights have not are not so good for me because I am not sleeping well. I get this burning pain in my back that keeps me up at night. And I really must be feeling better to even have this concern, but I have to leave my house tomorrow for the doctor's office and I have no idea what I can comfortably wear. I have these drains in my side with external bags and while I have lost weight, my belly is still distended. When they injected me with the dye in the hospital, they never could tell why my stomach distension wouldn't go down. Then they said maybe it will stay like this! I am very comfortable in my nightgown and robe, but I don't think I can go to the doctor's office wearing that!


I'll have more news after the appointment. Thank you so much for all your comments and support. It really means so much to my family and me.

8 comments:

Tony & Terry said...

We are happy to hear that you are feeling a "LITTLE" better today. You cross my mind several times a day and I say a prayer for you each time. When I had my surgery a couple years ago my doctor told me to eat peanut butter and crackers. You mentioned the other day that you needed protein so there is a good source and the crackers give you some carbs for energy. It seemed to help me so maybe it will help you, and it would be something easy to have by your bedside.
Tony & Terry

Norlene Adams said...

Oh Sheri - just wear your nightgown and bathrobe and be comfy!!! People come into the doctor like that when they come directly from the hospital all the time - no one will know for sure! You're too young to look like you had a "senior moment"!!! ;O
Stay Strong!
Love ya,
Norlene

Suzette Benecke said...

Hey Girlfriend,

I think you should have Julie/Susan get your most recent family portrait onto this blogspot!!! It's so awesome - everyone will love it! AND, it will be free advertising for Susan! :-)

Jill Christiansen said...

We enjoyed having Hadley and Kevin spend a couple of nights last week. It's good to see that even though Hadley's growing up he can still fall asleep in the chair watching TV! I asked Kevin if he wanted to wake him up so he could go to bed and he said he was just going to leave him there because he would wake up during the night and get into bed. Sure enough, in the morning he was in bed. We've been praying for you, but we'll add a specific prayer for a lower billirubin (sp?) count. We may pass you on the Reno trip - Jeff has an appointment today also (for his back). We love you - Jill & Jeff

beach girl always--at heart said...

Sherri,
Where do I start?
I want to help in any way I can, but don't want to get in the way.
I only found out about this 2 weeks ago and ever since I can't get you out of my head and heart.
As Mother's we want to fix everything, and that's what I want to do...fix it...Just what can I do.
Carl and I want to offer anything we can, anytime, we are right next door,just tell us what to do, we will stop what we are doing and do it for you, doesn't matter what time of day or night.
Thank you for sharing this difficult time with us. I have been trying to figure out how to find out without bothering you.
My heart is there for you, let me know what we can do for the kids, we love them too.
Please please let us be your helpers, Carl is beside himself as well as I am.
Our Prayers are for you, 100%
Corrine and my kids are praying too!
Forever Sisters Love, Leslie

Brenda said...

Sheri - I have thought about you and the family everyday since I heard you were having a few issues. Im glad you are feeling a little stronger. Its been sad not to see you walking in the early mornings like you have done for some many years. You and David have always been so good to me. Sharing the arena, providing pasture, providing riding support the list goes on and on. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I live so close it would never be out of my way. Good Luck, Brenda Ogden

Rhonda said...

We were really glad to hear that you were at home. Sorry to hear that sleeping isn't so great. I was telling Fike he looked like he had started to really grow again and he said the one who is getting tall is Hadley. We keep you in our thoughts and prayers as well as your entire family. Love you lots.
Rhonda and Family

Jill Christiansen said...

We love you!
Shelley & Kevin